Kare-kare Pata Recipe
2 lbs. Pork shank (pata), cut into 2 inch thick pieces
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 medium Chinese eggplant, sliced
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 bunch bok choy, cleaned
1 1/2 cups string beans, cut in 3 inches length
1 medium onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon annatto powder
3 tablespoons cooking oil
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups water or beef broth salt
1/4 cup shrimp paste (bagoong)
- Pour 2 liters of water in a pot. Bring to a boil. Add about 3 teaspoons of salt, and put in the pork shank. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the pork from the pot. Set aside. In a pot of hot cooking oil clean. Saute garlic and onion.
- Add the black pepper. Revolver. Add the pork. Cook for 2 minutes.Put in the fish sauce, crushed peanuts, peanut butter and annatto. Revolver.
- Pour in the beef broth (or water). Bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water if necessary.
- When the texture thickens, add the eggplant. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Put-in the green beans. Cook for 3 minutes.Add the bok choy. Cover and then turn off heat. Let cook vegetables using waste heat for 5-7 minutes (do not remove cover).
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with shrimp paste.