Beef Empanada recipe
1 lb. ground beef (85% lean)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup green peas
1 small yellow onion, minced
1/2 cup beef broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
2 tablespoons cooking oil
3 cups AP flour
1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 8 parts
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons granulated white sugar
6 tablespoons ice cold water
3 cups cooking oil (for frying)
- Making the presentation to heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet. Saute onion and add ground black pepper. Put in the meat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add raisins, paprika, sugar and salt. Stir and then pour in the beef broth.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove the lid and let the liquid evaporate.
- Add the green peas.Stir then cook for 2 minutes. Turn-off heat. Set aside.
- Prepare the dough by placing salt, AP flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl. Use a whisk to mix the ingredients.
- Put the pieces of butter in the mixing bowl with cold water. Mix with a pastry blender. If you do not have one, use 2 kitchen knives instead. You should mix like dough being cut into several pieces.
- Take about 3 tablespoons of the mixture and then shape it into a ball. do this until all the dough is consumed.
- Refrigerate the dough balls for about 20-25 minutes. Flatten the dough ball gently pressing the center by hand on a flat surface dusted with flour clean. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough and make a flat circle about 4-5 inches in diameter.
- Arrange about 4-5 tablespoons of filling in center of dough. Bending block edges or by pressing the tip of a fork on both sides. Meanwhile, heat about 2-3 cups of oil in a pot. Fry patties about 3-5 minutes or until the color turns golden brown.
- Remove from the pot and then arrange on a plate with paper towels linewd. Allow excess oil to drip-off. Transer to a serving dish.